Student Stabbed at Brookwood High School

Picture of the entrance of Brookwood Highschool in Gwinnett County.
Ella Harper

Last Thursday, February 29th, a student was found injured with stab wounds in the bathrooms of Brookwood High School in Gwinnett County. The student remains anonymous, whose name has not been released by the media. At around 10:15 Thursday morning, the student was found in the boy’s bathroom by the administration with stab wounds. Shortly after, police arrived at the scene and the student was rushed to the hospital. The student was found to have been stabbed by another classmate, however the suspect ran away from the scene. The suspect was on the run and off school property for about thirty-five minutes until he was detained by police. The suspect was found in a nearby neighborhood and according to police, a knife was found as well. No one else was injured, but the conflict ended with a student in the hospital and the suspect being apprehended by police.

Principal Brett Savage emailed parents close to 11 p.m. on Thursday addressing the situation. Principal Savage stated in the email sent out to parents and students, “The student successfully underwent surgery and is now resting in the hospital.” A sophomore student at Brookwood stated, “I was walking down the hall, but I had no idea what was going on, I was just confused when I passed the bathroom and saw cops and the assistant principals in the bathroom.” To maintain a safe environment at Brookwood, safety measures have been improved including, additional officers in the hallway for a short period, administration monitoring the bathrooms during passing time, and signs that have been placed around the school bathrooms that say “No Loitering”. Principal Savage sent out another email to parents on the morning of March 1st stating the updated security measures Brookwood has implemented, and his thanks to the community for their help and support.

When asked how her peers reacted to the news, a student at Brookwood said, “Most people tried to play it off, but I think we were all just shocked and scared. But overall, I’d say I feel safe at my school.”

The student is currently in recovery after his surgery on Thursday, he will be in the hospital for a few days. Brookwood continues to prioritize the safety of its student body and is offering counseling to those affected by the incident.