New Vending Machine located in the Atrium, but also have other locations throughout the school.
Alexis Bowen

New Vending Machines at Mill Creek

Alexis Bowen

In January, Mill Creeks Vending Machines disappeared and students as well as staff were confused as to why. Principal Lane as well as the Bookkeeper, Nora Hill, explained that the company we used to partner with, Aramack Refreshment Services, went into bankruptcy, which is why the school has a new vending company.

Many students agree that the old vending snacks were not good, or were limited in options, but now with these new and improved vending machines, students love the options they have at school, Claire Leonard stated, “The new vending machines are so cool and way better than the old ones.” Some of the new options they have are honey buns, fruit snacks, varieties of cookies, new brands of chips, go-go squeezes, and more.

In 2010, President Obama signed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act which the CNBC stated, “The new USDA rules would phase out the advertising of sugary drinks and junk foods on vending machines and around campuses during the school day and set guidelines for other in-school promotions, from banners hung in hallways to sponsored scoreboards on school football fields.” This act was applied to Mill Creek, and to the vending machine options. The New vending machines, although still applying to this law, have many new varieties and options for students to choose from.