Mill Creek Special Olympics 2024

Mill Creek Hosts lined up and organized to begin the events.
Ella Harper

On March 28th, Mill Creek hosted the Special Olympics which included different track and field events for elementary students. The different schools that participated were Buford Academy, Puckett’s Mill Elementary, Duncan Creek Elementary, Harmony Elementary School, Riverside Elementary School, Robert Elementary School, Sugar Hill Elementary School and White Oak Elementary School. Mill Creek teacher, Karen O’Connor, explained, “There were over 71 heats and more than 100 volunteers from around the school.”

• Dance and Cheer volunteers walking on the track before the event started.

• Teachers, parents and students in the crowd excited for the event to begin.

• Volunteers entering Markham Field ready to start Special Olympics.

• Mill Creek students leading the elementary schools during the Pledge of Allegiance prior to the events.

• Elementary schools from Gwinnett County participating in the Pledge of Allegiance.

• Dunnington Walters, 12, a MIll Creek Football, Track and Chorus student, singing the National Anthem to the crowd.

• Participants with a Army Veteran facing the American Flag during the pledge of Allegiance.

• Nino Lender, 12, leading the crowd in the Special Olympics slogan to rial up the crowd.

• Mill Creek Hosts lined up and organized to begin the events.

• Students walking with their volunteers to the field.

• Mill Creek students finishing up the first 50 yard dash of Special Olympics.

• Kathryn Wilson, 12, with Buford Elementary students before their first event.

• Buford Elementary students competing in the 100 yard dash.

• Mill Creek hosts congratulating students on their placements in the 100 yard dash.

• Students from Buford Elementary participating in the 50 yard dash as the first group to compete.