Chorus Spring Show

“The Show Must Go On: A Broadway Extravaganza!”
Advanced Chorus at the end of their performance for the Chorus Spring Show.
FInly Aldred

On May 10th and 11th, all levels of Chorus participated in the Chorus Spring Show. The Mill Creek High School Chorus performed “The Show Must Go On: A Broadway Extravaganza!” on Friday, May 10th at 7:30pm and Saturday, May 11th at 5:30pm. The Directors for this show were Mr. Samuel Potts and Mr. Joe Jerome.  The levels included in the show were Beginner, Advanced, Intermediate, and Mastery Chorus. The show itself is multiple songs from famous Broadway shows such as Wicked, Les Miserables, and Grease. 

Beginning Chorus performed “For Good” from Wicked, “On My Own” from Les Miserables, and “Hernando’s Hideaway” from The Pajama Game.  Advanced Chorus performed “Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz, and “Defying Gravity” from Wicked. Intermediate Chorus performed “Dear Theodosia” from Hamilton, as well as “Make Them Hear You” from Ragtime. Finally, Mastery Chorus performed “Summertime” from Porgy and Bess, and “The Schuyler Sisters” from Hamilton. These were all performed out of order, with soloists, Special Acts, and trios being presented as well during the show. Before the ten minute intermission, the Spectrum Show Choir performed, “You’re the One that I Want” from Grease, with Bryce Converse, 12, being both the Student Director and Choreographer.

Student Danielle Gagnon, 9, has been doing Chorus since she was in 2nd grade, and tried out for a soloist part during the show. Her solo was during “For Good” from Wicked, along with another soloist, Bella Wable, 9. The Chorus students learned the majority of their material in class, and had after school practices on the week of the Spring show. Tryouts for a solo in chorus happens in class, and students that wish to tryout for a solo stand in front of the class sand audition for the part they wish to have. Gagnon is currently in the Beginner level of Chorus, and this is her first spring show, “The Spring show is such a learning experience, especially for beginner or new chorus students. I think that’s why I would encourage people to join chorus if they have never done it before. Chorus is such a big family, and it doesn’t matter if sometimes you don’t sound your best, everyone is still super supportive and happy for one another. It’s one of the most inviting places I’ve ever been in, and there’s so much to learn, the best part is I love singing. And you build a bond with everyone in the program and we build each other up too.”

The Chorus concert itself received a lot of positive feedback from the audience, as well as the students who enjoyed Chorus this year and the Spring Show at the end of this year.