Spotlight: Athletic trainers, Ms. Ashley Gill

Ashley Gill, an Athletic Trainer at Mill Creek High School.
Robert Grayson

Coaches and Trainers are a big importance and have a great impact within the sports division and provide care for our athletic students. Ashley Gill, one of Mill Creek’s Athletic Trainers specializes in taking care of and preparing athletic students for future games.

Gill is a trainer at Mill Creek. The way she became a trainer actually takes place within her high school years. When Gill was in high school she played travel sports and other travel sports students mentioned how they had Athletic Trainers. In travel sports there is a lot of physical contact with other player that can result in a risk of injury or health problems due to weather conditions so its important that Gill team should have one. This had some concern to Gill because she felt like an athletic trainer might be very helpful and needed an Athletic Trainer, this got her interested in Athletic Training.

“When I was in high school, we didn’t have an Athletic Trainer or anyone to like, take care of us with our injuries. So it kind of piqued my interest because I played like travel sports and they talked about how they had Athletic Trainers and like, all the stuff they did, and I was like, why don’t I have that? So then  I just like researched it a little more and it got me interested”, said Gill. Not having an athletic trainer inspired Gill to become an athletic trainer and help students at our school. Gill wasn’t always working here, in fact she started her training at “Children’s HealthCare Of Atlanta.” Children’s HealthCare Of Atlanta considered that Gill should go to Mill Creek High School and train athletes.

Gill mentioned how she loves the job she has and is honored to be working here. As an athletic trainer, Gill attends all home sporting events, is on site to treat injuries and provides rehab.  A  trainer to Gill means being able to communicate and interact with student athletes. When Gill pointed out how she wanted to be a person at Mill Creek that can make a great impact on  the school’s athletic teams. She wants to be a trainer to where students know that she cares for them and can feel comfortable around her. Gill makes sure that her students are in the best of health and  always have there back. Gill truly is an athletic trainer that benefits students and their personal health.