Mill Creek National Green Schools Society

Mill Creek Green Schools Society members collecting donations.
Alexis Bowen

The Mill Creek High School National Green School Society works toward protecting, conserving and improving the environment by spreading awareness to Mill Creek students and all in Gwinnett County. The club furthers their goal through regularly volunteering, hosting recycling drives, and cleaning up lakes and parks. NGSS members and volunteers are dedicated to helping keep the school clean for future students, through a recycling initiative, a school garden and campus clean-ups.

Hailey Brown, 12, Co-president of Mill Creek National Green Schools Society said, “It’s a way that the school can come together and work towards the environment because I feel like a lot of people, even during the club, they wouldn’t do outside of school, so it gets more people in the community invested.”

National Green Schools Society is a structured chapter-based program for high-achieving, environmentally focused students to create extraordinary impacts in schools, organizations, and communities while getting the recognition they deserve on a state and national level. The NGSS program develops bright, civic-minded, environmentally literate citizens. By having NGSS in our school district, students in grades ninth through 12 can advance their passion for preserving the environment through environmental service projects, leadership, and activism.

The National Green Schools Society website mentions, “NGSS wants to make sure that NGSS student members are aware of green careers and fields of study for college majors. Their suggested apprenticeship and community partner service hour requirement is intended to help students engage in business, agency, organization, or mentor that has experience in green and sustainable business processes, products, or services. Career and college readiness programs in Mill Creek can use the NGSS Green Careers resources to guide students and support them in making green career choices.”