Mill Creek and Walton High School go head to head in the 2022 Corky Kell Classic. (Jacqueline Renoll Arbor)
Mill Creek and Walton High School go head to head in the 2022 Corky Kell Classic.

Jacqueline Renoll Arbor

Mill Creek Wins Second Consecutive Corky Kell Classic

August 26, 2022

One of the biggest football games of the season is played on one particular summer evening. Players wait all season just to play against another team on this world-renowned field, it is known as the Mercedes Benz Stadium.  They train and sacrifice all summer just for the preparation. Students rushed to get tickets to see this game. The Corky Kell Classic is known as the game of all games held at the infamous Atlanta Falcon stadium. Corky Kell  has been played by many top Georgia football teams, including Mill creek since 1907. The game is recorded and played on live television. Even People from other places tune in to watch these games.

Starting players such as Makhail Woods, 12; Caleb Downs, 12; and Cameron Robison,11, gave us a major  lead way on the scoreboard throughout the whole game.

Woods, 12, mentioned before the game,“ I feel as if I contribute to them enough for us  to succeed. As a team we are getting ready and prepared mentally and physically with practice every single day.” Woods puts in the work every day by going to practice and keeping up with the school aspect of continuously being on the team.  He ended up contributing 1 touchdown.  

Woods mentioned after making the last touchdown, “It felt great to help my team win the ball game meant a lot to me and them.”

All the credit goes out to the offensive line because I wouldn’t have gotten to the end zone without them. But my coach made a good game plan, to get me in the end zone.”

— Cameron Robison

Running back, Robison, said “All the credit goes  out to the offensive line because I wouldn’t have gotten to the end zone without them. But my coach made a good game plan, to get me in the end zone. ” Robison made a total of two touchdowns throughout the whole game. He ran a total of 125 yards. Robison went go to described that it didn’t feel real and he mentioned it went by really quick. He added, “I didn’t really get to take in till after the game but it was one of the most special moments in my life.” This was his first two of many Varsity touchdowns. He did not shy away from the live camera. 

After the game Saturday night, Woods said, “It felt great to help my team win the ball game meant a lot to me and them.”

Downs also made two touchdowns.

Mill Creek was 41 to 37 , when Woods made a touchdown during 41 seconds left on the clock. This put us ahead. The touchdown Woods made and the field goal Jacob Ulrich, 11, kicked, put Mill Creek in the lead, winning once again with 44-41.  This was a really close one for Mill Creek. Only seconds left on the clock; Walton had possession over the ball. 

This was a close one for Mill Creek and had The Creek Freaks on the edge of their seats. In the final seconds of the game, Mill Creek pulled through and won the 2022 Corky Kell Classic against Walton High School.