Tiffany Pan, 11, at the Interact Club table interacting with students. (Ella Harper )
Tiffany Pan, 11, at the Interact Club table interacting with students.

Ella Harper

Club Fair

August 25, 2022

On Monday, Aug. 22, Mill Creek held their annual Club Fair. The Club Fair is a showcase of all of Mill Creek’s clubs to students. 

Morgan Mallare, 11, has been in Student Council since her sophomore year. To students interested in joining she says, “they should expect fun and a lot of opportunities to serve and meet other people.” Mallare explains that the purpose of the Student Council is to serve Mill Creek. They are in charge of fun events, such as homecoming and the Food Fight.

The National Honor Society, or NHS is an academic honor society for students with at least a GPA of 3.7 who are interested in being involved in the community. Ash Jewett, 12, is the Senior Vice President of Communications for NHS. Jewett explains the requirements that are expected to be met by students, “We have a minimum of 40 service hours per year. If you are invited, students would be expected to attend all meetings and can only miss a maximum of two.” 

Best Buddies is a club that connects regular ed students with special needs students. Jaden Wagner, 10, explains, “Everybody gets special needs students as their buddy and you do fun activities with them throughout the year.” Students are expected to visit their buddy at least once a week. Also, students will get to participate in holiday related activities as well as Special Olympics. 

The International Thespian Society is a club that offers opportunities to learn about theater. Nate Augustine, 12, who is the President, says that students looking to join should expect fun, “If you’re interested in costume design or second hand production you can come to learn. We also have six shows at Mill Creek throughout the year and they are open to anyone willing to audition.”  

The African American Cultural Association, or AACA, is a club devoted to bringing awareness to African American culture. Nia Butler, 11, who is the President of AACA, explains, “We have regular meetings where we discuss several aspects of the culture. The club includes more hands-on cultural experiences.” 

Asian American Student Association, or AASA, is a club that encourages students to learn about asian culture, foods, countries, and the diversity of everyone. Club Secretary Tae Kim, 12, says, “Students should expect monthly meetings, snacks from various countries, and social events involving holidays.” 

One of the lesser known clubs at Mill Creek is Pride Club. Jewett, who is President, says, “Pride Club is a safe space for anyone in the LGBTQ community who needs it. The club is inclusive and filled with all types of people. You can come to every meeting or just one, either way we would love to have you!”

Lauren O’Connor, 10, is the marketing lead in Robotics Club. O’Connor explains, “You learn how to use machinery and how to do basic programming. We also learned 3D design. In the second semester, you build robots and take them to competitions.”

This school tradition boosts attendance to many clubs while also showcasing the diversity of the interests and cultures of Mill Creek students. The Club Fair also spreads knowledge of lesser known extracurriculars offered, while encouraging student involvement. 

• Mr. Techo and Trey Wilson, 12, at the Club Fair.