Shawn Mendes Illuminate Tour Concert Review

Faith Montgomery, Staff Writer

PICTURE: Samantha Fletcher

On July 29th at 7:30, Shawn Mendes, one of the youngest artists of all time to chart two number one albums, according to Forbes, played in Duluth at the Infinite Energy Center. The tour was over his sophomore album, Illuminate, which included three number one hits: Treat You Better, Mercy, and There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back.

The Infinite Energy Center can hold up to 13,000 people, yet parking at the arena is easier than any other venue I’ve been to, and even better, all parking is free.  The arena is surrounded by restaurants and hotels, which made it easy to find a place to eat before the show and allowed overnight guests an easy-access place to crash for the night.  Tin Lizzy’s, located next to the arena and even has an entrance from the arena’s parking lot, even had a coupon on the online tickets, although I don’t recommend taking advantage of this $5 reduction, because the place was packed.  

Despite the long line, the security to get into the venue went fairly quickly, even though the process was more thorough than other local venues, like the Buckhead Theater and the Lakewood Amphitheater.  

Right at 7:30, Charlie Puth, the opener for the North American portion of Mendes’ Illuminate Tour, came onstage singing “We Don’t Talk Anymore.”  In his first few moments onstage, I heard almost everyone around me talking about how Puth’s voice sounded exactly like it does on the radio.  His voice was smooth and didn’t sound strained when he sang his famous high notes.  It’s no surprise that Puth, who has been playing the piano since the age of four, was extremely impressive on the keyboard, although I was a little disappointed that he was playing on a keyboard rather than a full size piano, especially since there were two on-site that Mendes played for his set.

Puth’s set lasted for around 30 minutes, and Mendes entered the stage around 8:30, opening with his newest single, “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back.”  The first portion of the show consisted a lot of his songs from his first album, Handwritten, and the majority of the crowd seemed more excited to hear songs like “The Weight” and “Life of the Party” rather than songs like “Ruin” and “Bad Reputation” off of Illuminate.  Although, to no surprise, “Stitches,” “Treat You Better,” and “Mercy” were

My favorite part of his live performances are when he does vocal runs, especially in higher octaves.  He sings with so much emotional intensity that his raw voice just takes over, and his voice cracks, in a positive way, because of how much he’s giving to the song. It’s obvious that his performances are not fabricated, and he truly gives everything he has on each night.

However, what I liked better about his concert, rather than other live performances, like the Billboard music awards, is that he has more opportunity for creativity. So, in songs like “Bad Reputation,” he has more time for vocal runs, and repeating lyrics like “nobody knows the way that I know her said…” in order to experiment with pitch and tone.

About halfway through the concert, Mendes moved to a different stage, located on the other side of the arena, which held a (full size) piano. Here, he played songs like “Roses” and “Three Empty Words,” just him and the piano, which made the arena seem a whole lot more intimate, even though there were 13,000 people.

Back at the normal stage, he ended with “Mercy,” my favorite performance of the night.  Each time he performs this song, it is filled with emotion, which in part is because of the way the song is structured: it starts slow, “you’ve got a hold on me// don’t even know your power,” gradually increases in both tempo and dynamics in the hook, “baby, please have mercy on me// take it easy on my heart,” until it reaches its peak when the hook repeats, followed by a sudden drop in intensity in the first half of the bridge,”consuming all the air inside my lungs// ripping all the skin from off my bones,” until it returns to the volume and the tempo of the climax for the remaining portion of the song.  

Overall, Mendes’ performance was one to remember, and it’s obvious that this 19-year-old musician will continue to release top hits, as well as put together tours filled with emotion and zeal.