AASA Lunar New Year Celebration

Creative Commons

Chinese New Year Lanterns

Last Friday the Asian American Student Association (AASA) celebrated Lunar New Years by making paper lanterns, playing traditional games such as Bầu cua tôm cá, and eating pho. Lunar New Year marks the first new moon of the lunar calendar and is typically celebrated in China and other Asian countries such as South Korea, Vietnam, and Malaysia.

Students also participated in the passing of red envelopes, which symbolizes good wishes and fortune for the new year. However, for most students like Enne Kim, 12, the best part of the celebration was getting to engage in fellowship. “My favorite moment was eating pho and getting to hang out with new friends in our club,” Kim said.

With a large Korean and Vietnamese student population, many students celebrate Lunar New Year outside of school with their families. For Kim, who is of Korean heritage, her family takes part in many traditional Korean activities. “We eat traditional foods for the new year. When I was younger we would celebrate by dressing up in traditional Korean dress called Hanbok, and asking my relatives and grandma for the Korean version of red envelopes,” she said.

Thus, when planning the event, Presidents Daniel Jung, 12, and Lobsang Huynh, 12, emphasized the celebration of traditions. “We made paper lanterns and Chinese decorations for luck, as we wanted to highlight the traditions of Lunar New Year and help people connect to meaningful cultural aspects,” Huynh said.