Read and Ride

New Exercise Bikes in Media Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

Read and Ride

Students Cade Jones, 9, and Matthew Willis, 9, reading books while riding bikes in the media center

Nora Neff

Nora Neff

Nora Neff

New exercise bikes are offered in the media center for students to use while reading.

Students can read while on the bikes just to get some exercise, but that isn’t the only thing they can do.

“One option is if kids just want to come in and read a book and ride for exercise at the same time, they’re welcome to come and tell us that’s what they want to do, but kids can also work off fines,” Allison Thompson, the media center clerk, said.

“The maximum fine students can work off is three dollars, and if you want to work off three dollars, you would have to read a book and ride a bike for 30 minutes. Let’s also say that you have 50 cents or less\; you only have to ride it for five minutes.”

Students must talk to a media specialist or clerk first if they want to pay off their fines.

“Just tell one of us that you’re going to do it, and we’ll give you this piece of paper. We’ll sign it, and that’s really it. You can tell Mrs. Price or Mrs. Garcia, those are the two media specialists, or me.” Thompson said.

Students can go and ride whenever they have free time like in the mornings before the first period bell and during their lunch.

“We are hoping that more students come in just for fun to read and get some exercise at the same time because right now, it seems like the only kids coming in are ones wanting to work off fines,” Thompson said.

One student likes how kids can work off fines.

“I think it’s really cool that kids can bike off their library fines,” Bryn Hammock, 10, said.

Another student thinks that the bikes will be used for reasons other than exercise and reading.

“I think that the bikes in the media center are a good idea, but I think that there will be kids who use them just to mess around while their class is in the library,” Audrey Main, 10, said.