Do Extracurriculars Affect Our Academic Life?

How Students Balance Both

Joelin Linonge

The jazz shoes represent extracurricular activities, and the SAT book represents schoolwork.

At our school Mill Creek, there is a big variety of clubs. We have academic clubs as well as student sponsored clubs. School extracurriculars are a way for students to express their personal interests and to keep them occupied with things outside of their academic work.

However, some would argue that after school activities are a hindrance to students’ academic work and put too much stress on students.

Ryleigh Jenkins, 9, said, “[Clubs] make school life more fun, but sometimes, it’s hard to tackle those on top of homework. I think as long as you balance your time wisely, it doesn’t matter what you do.”

Annique Linonge, 12, believes that participating in clubs positively affects students.

Linonge said, “I think [clubs] make school a little bit easier because [they’re] an outlet for [me to focus on something other than] my academics, [which] I’m usually focused on throughout the day. I think [they] benefit me as a student because [they] teaches me discipline [because I have to keep] up with all of them. Also, when you apply to colleges, they look for you to be in clubs, so it helps academically, too.”