Dress Code

The dress code is one of the sets of rules that students have to abide by. Dress code has pros and cons to the students. There are so many different opinions with dress code\; some support it and others don’t.

Janeya Williams,10, said, “It’s unfair. I can get unconfident at times. [The administrators] make me feel like I’m exposing myself, and I’m really not.”

Bailey Clements, 10, said “It depends on what it is. There are just some things that should be on there.”

Not only females get dress coded, so do boys, but it pertains more to females than makes. It’s not only females that feel biased against the dress code. There are boys that also feel as if the dress code is very harsh and unneeded.

Amory Gomes,10, said, “They (females) should be entitled to what they want to wear because it’s their body.”

Females go shopping for school clothes during the end of summer. Some feel their money is being wasted because they can’t wear the clothes that they bought. According to the Dress Code published on the Mill Creek website “It is essential that students respect the learning environment by being appropriately dressed for school. The purpose of the student dress code is not to inhibit any person’s taste in attire, but rather to better facilitate the process of education through reasonable guidelines of dress, instilling dignity and pride.” This means that females can’t wear off the shoulder shirts, crop tops, or some shorts because they are a distraction to the learning environment.

Clements said, “ In PE girls are not able to wear tank tops and I feel as that’s messed up because it can get really hot. I agree that females should not wear short shorts or crop tops because nobody wants to see all of that.”

Dr. Monica Hudson Cook, one of the assistant principals, usually works with sophomores, but when it comes to the dress code, she sees almost every grade.

The administrators keep a log of the students who have been dress coded to see how many times they have been dress coded before. On a daily basis, each administrator addresses five to six students individually regarding dress code issues.

Dr. Cook said, “We typically see anywhere from four to five, maybe even six (students) a day, but that does not mean that they’re receiving a referral for not following the dress code. It could be (that they are being seen) for the very first time.”

If this is the first time the student is being dress coded they are let off with a warning, but are to change their clothes. The way that works is you give the administrator the shirt you were dress coded for and take the shirt they give you. They keep your shirt until you wash and bring back their shirt. If the student continues to disobey the dress code the next step would be ISS ( In School Suspension).

There are some dress code issues that come up regularly with female students.

Dr. Cook said, “It’s the midriff that shows, or maybe spaghetti strap shirts, or some type of crop top, or a shirt that does not have straps for shoulders, and sometimes, it’s the short shorts that are too short that we have to deal with.”

The purpose of the dress code is to establish the school as a business environment.

According to the Mill Creek website “It is essential that students respect the learning environment by being appropriately dressed for school. The purpose of the student dress code is not to inhibit any person’s taste in attire, but rather to better facilitate the process of education through reasonable guidelines of dress, instilling dignity and pride.”