The Mill Creek Chronicle

Bird Box Challenge 

Bird Box the Netflix film

Bird Box the Netflix film

Melanie Davoudlariian

Bird Box was released on Netflix on December 31, 2018. Since then the film has gained many opinions about the thriller movie.

According to CNN, “Netflix says more than 45 million accounts have seen the Bird Box film.”

Because of all the publicity, audience members have created a challenge to go along with the movie.

The challenge consists of having a blindfold or a cloth to cover the eyes of the face and trying to do multiple activities such as walking down stairs, running through living rooms, stumbling around in the woods, riding escalators, and even driving cars.

Mirror.co.uk stated that “The teenager was driving blindfolded. She crashed her truck in Layton, Utah. She had pulled down her beanie to cover her eyes and began to drive.”

This challenge is life threating seeing as people such as the teen from Utah can get into severe crashes.

Netflix has taken to Twitter to state that they do not want viewers to participate in the Bird Box challenge and put themselves in dangerous situations.

The Netflix Twitter account has posted multiple tweets stating, “Can’t believe I have to say this, but: PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELF WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE,” they also stated, “We don’t know how this started, and we appreciate the love, but Boy and Girl have just one wish for 2019 and it is that you not end up in the hospital due to memes.”

Boy and Girl are two unnamed characters in the movie that are blindfolded for most of the movie while they are making their way to a safe place.

The Guardian has taken it up to talk with YouTube on how the platform is banning creators from uploading videos of the challenge and other videos that may put viewers in traumatic stress.

The Bird Box challenge has lost some publicity after the movie was out for about a week, but some teenagers and young adults are still going through with this challenge.

Although the challenge seems like a fun activity to do while you are with some friends in your house, this challenge is not something people should be taking onto the road and into dangerous situations.