Jake Magahey Invited to Swim in Fiji

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jake Magahey Invited to Swim in Fiji

Photo courtesy of Jake Magahey

Photo courtesy of Jake Magahey

Photo courtesy of Jake Magahey

Photo courtesy of Jake Magahey

Isabelle Harrel, Staff

Jake Magahey, a junior here at Mill Creek, has been invited to swim at the Junior Pan Pacific competition, which lasts from August 23 to August 26.

In order to qualify for the competition, a swimmer must have placed first or second out of all of the 18 and under participants at Nationals. Magahey placed second in the 200 freestyle race, so he was able to qualify.

Magahey will swim in the 200, 400, and 800-meter freestyle races. If he does well, then he will qualify for the United States Junior National Team, and possibly, the Senior National Team.

During the school year, Magahey swims for Mill Creek. He normally swims the 200 and 500 freestyles for the school.

According to Magahey, the previous season for Mill Creek was the best one he has ever had.

“Last season for Mill Creek was probably the best season I’ve ever had in my career,” he said. “I won state in both the 200 and 500, broke the state record in the 500, and was .49 seconds off the national public high school record for the 500.”

This time is supposed to be Magahey’s break between swimming, but he has been taking this time to prepare for the races in Fiji.

“Usually, this is our break between seasons,” Magahey said. “Since I have to swim at Fiji, I’ve been swimming every day by myself, about 7000 meters per day.”