The Truth: Vaping Epidemic

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Truth: Vaping Epidemic

credited to Staff photo by Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald via Getty images

Kimani Jackson, Writer

Mill Creek helps students create a path to their future goals, whether it is inviting freshman and seniors alike to cheer on the Mill Creek football team or working hard to achieve the ultimate goal of going to their dream college. Either way high school seems to be the place of endless dreams and opportunities for an abundance of teenagers all over the school but this is only one side of the story.

Throughout the years, students have received an overwhelming amount of stress due to the never ending classwork, tests, and not to mention the persistent pressures being placed upon them by family. Faced with the paralyzing pressures that these obstacles present, a handful of students began to develop the habit of alleviating the pressure with drugs. One of the most hard hitting and easily accessible drug to teenagers in school today is e-cigarettes or more commonly known as vaping.

While talking to students, many of them have concluded that the reason for vaping is because “[they] want to be calm and mellow while listening to the teachers lecture about whatever is going on that day” stated Sarah Hernandez (11).  Although important to future events, such things could deter them from wanting to pay attention since students feel as though they’re not in the right mindset to get them to learn.

“Our attention spans are short so, we puff one out to keep us focused”,  said Anonymous Mill Creek student.

Read more in the Mill Creek Chronicle