The Mill Creek Chronicle

Thanksgiving Foods

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thanksgiving Foods

Taylor Johnson, Staff Writer

Now that Halloween is over, many students are changing their attention to Christmas. But the excitement of Christmas songs, decorations and presents tends to distract people from another holiday, Thanksgiving. On Thursday, November 23rd, Canada, the United States, some of the Caribbean islands, and Liberia celebrate Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a national holiday that celebrates all the things we are thankful for, with a special dinner filled with fall foods.

Previously, The English colonists we call Pilgrims celebrated days of thanksgiving as part of their religion. But these were days of prayer, not days of feasting. Yet, in the autumn of 1621, the Pilgrims and Wampanoag Indians joined together in feast to calibrate the colony’s first successful harvest we know today as the first thanksgiving.
The first Thanksgiving was not one big sit down feast. Meals were eaten throughout the colony, both indoors and out, for almost a week. Some meals, the Wampanoag and the English ate together, and other times, the two groups ate separately.
When most people think of a thanksgiving meal, they think of foods like stuffing, pumpkin pie, casseroles and the all famous turkey. Yet, there is only one written account of the first Thanksgiving, and turkey is never mentioned. And cranberries and mashed potatoes weren’t even invented yet. In addition to duck venison, the dinners contained cabbage, seafood, corn and squash. But overtime, people have created their own dishes that they share with their family.
Lillie Galvin (9th) says, “My favorite thanksgiving dish is the mashed potatoes that my family makes. We usually collaborate and make our own dishes. The dishes I usually cook are corn casserole and pumpkin pie.”
Alyssa Cornelius (10th) says, “In former years past, my family and I liked to go to Mimi’s Cafe for thanksgiving. My favorite dish is Turkey.”